Life is hard, isn’t it. Sometimes when things come crashing down I follow a subconscious set of behaviors – I get really quiet, I try to hold back tears, I lose mind control and my thoughts fall into a deep dark hole, I get a for-real stomach ache.
After all that, I turn to Scripture.
Scripture. God’s Word. Straight from Him to me. Strong in its own right, alive, a piece of Jesus.
When we are in hard times, it’s not the time to just read. It is the time to dig in, camp out, memorize, state out loud, claim, pray. How many times have I known the Word to not just comfort me, but to hold me up, keep me steady, allow me to stand and not faint?
Perusing through my files I came upon this reminder:
When you are in fierce battle grab your Bible and read Ephesians 6: 10-18. Memorize the 6 pieces of armor and put them on daily. Armor up.
1. Belt of Truth – buckles around your waist like a weight lifter’s belt, leaving your hands free, locks the truth onto your core. The Belt of Truth protects your back. It is like God has your back. And He does.
2. Breastplate of Righteousness – like a bulletproof vest over your heart and your emotions.
3. Shoes of readiness for peace – like steel-toed heavy combat boots to protect your path and guide you to peace.
4. Shield of Faith – your hands hold two things; this powerful shield extinguishes the fiery darts of the evil one.
5. Helmet of Salvation – this heavy steel helmet locks down over your brain and protects your mind from lies, evil thoughts, runaway fear. Keeps you in the knowledge that you are saved and you belong to God.
6. Sword of the Spirit – the other thing you hold in your hand is a sword, the Word of God. Make your Bible your constant companion, pick it up and read it – any part of it.
How do you like your new wardrobe?
Guard my life and rescue me; let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you. Psalm 25: 20